The initiative was open worldwide to any researcher affiliated to a research institution which is active in disciplines such as: migration, spatial demography, social geography, urban sociology, economics, and political science and had a proven record of publications within the scope of the data challenge.
In order to apply, participants submitted a short description of the scope, objectives and intended use of the derived data. These descriptions are published in the section Accepted proposals.
Applicants were provided with full access to the data. After completion of the data challenge the participants were allowed to retain the derived data for their own publications with the only requirement to give acknowledgment to this initiative.
From all the submitted proposals, ten were invited to present their results to EU policy makers and local authorities at a workshop held in Brussels at the end of November 2018.
Timeline of the data challenge
- 30/10/2017 [Closed], deadline for the submission of research proposals;
- 15/11/2017 [Closed], deadline for the submission of the signed Declaration accepting the Rules of the D4I challenge;
- 30/11/2017 [Closed], the data is made available for download to selected participants;
- 30/09/2018 [Closed], closing date for the submission of the findings of research;
- 27/11/2018 [Closed], workshop to present results to EU policy makers and local authorities;
- December 2018 [Closed], publication of the JRC report: Diversity, residential segregation, concentration of migrants: a comparison across EU cities - Findings from the Data Challenge on Integration of Migrants in Cities (D4I).