The Blue Hub for PMAR
Under the name PMAR (Piracy, Maritime Awareness & Risks), three projects have been carried out by the European Commission’s
Joint Research Centre to strengthen the maritime awareness capacities of authorities in West and East Africa for the long term.
The initiative was started following a resolution by the European Parliament on piracy at sea.
The PMAR projects concern in-depth studies and trials of technologies to build up maritime awareness, with special focus on how these
tools can be used by the authorities in the regions affected by piracy. The work includes research to assesses the usefulness of various
data sources on ship traffic, explore ways to integrate them, and quantify their relative contributions.
The first two PMAR projects aimed at the Horn of Africa (from 2010 to 2012) and at the Gulf of Guinea (from 2011 to 2013).
The most recent one, PMAR-MASE, ran between July 2014 and October 2015, and included the provision of the real-time Maritime Situational Picture
of the entire Western Indian Ocean to two operational authorities, in Kenya and the Seychelles, for one whole year.
As a part of the European-funded MASE program for the enhancement of maritime security in the Eastern-Southern Africa / Indian Ocean (ESA-IO)
region, and carried out for the Indian Ocean Commission, it widened the scope to broader maritime awareness beyond only counter-piracy.
Access the tool
The tool is available here
Acknowledgments and references
Data provided by the Norwegian Coastal Administration, MSSIS / Volpe Center / US Navy, Flag States of the EU LRIT DC / EMSA, exactEarth, LuxSpace/Orbcomm, SpaceQuest.
- Greidanus H., Alvarez M., Eriksen T., Gammieri V.: 'Completeness and Accuracy of a Wide-Area Maritime Situational Picture based on Automatic Ship Reporting Systems',
Journal of Navigation 69(1), pp. 156-168, 2016.
- Greidanus H., Alvarez M., Eriksen T., 'Maritime Awareness at Regional and Global Scales', NMIO Technical Bulletin, National Maritime
Intelligence-Integration Office, Vol. 9, pp. 14-15, 2015.
- Alvarez M., Gammieri V., Alessandrini A., Ziemba L., Mazzarella F., Delaney C., Vespe M., Greidanus H., 'PMAR Viewer User Manual, Issue Feb 2015', JRC
Technical Report JRC94785, EUR 27117 EN, ISSN 1831-9424, doi: 10.2788/213253, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, 2015.
- Greidanus H., Alvarez M., Gammieri V., Santamaria C., Alessandrini A., Argentieri P., 'Maritime Awareness Systems Performance in the Western Indian Ocean
2014-2015 - Results from the PMAR-MASE project', JRC Technical Report JRC97935, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, 2015.
- Eriksen T., Greidanus H., Alvarez M., Nappo D., Gammieri V., 'Quality of AIS Services for Wide-Area Maritime Surveillance', Maritime Systems and
Technologies Conference (MAST 2014), Istanbul, 2014.
- Greidanus H., Alvarez M., Eriksen T., Argentieri P., Cokacar T., Pesaresi A., Falchetti S., Nappo D., Mazzarella F., Alessandrini A., 'Basin-Wide
Maritime Awareness From Multi-Source Ship Reporting Data', TransNav International Journal on Marine Navigation and Safety of Sea Transportation,
7(2), pp. 35-42, 2013.
- Greidanus H., Alvarez M., Eriksen T., Barbas T., 'Ship traffic distributions and statistics in the Gulf of Guinea and off West Africa', JRC Scientific
and Policy Report JRC87225, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, 2013.
- Falchetti S., Alvarez M., Cokacar T., Greidanus H., Vespe M., 'Improving Cooperative Vessel Tracking for a Maritime Integrated Surveillance
Platform', Proc. NATO RTO SCI-247 Symposium on "Port and Regional Maritime Security", Lerici, Italy, 2012.
- Posada M., Greidanus H., Alvarez M., Vespe M., Cokacar T., Falchetti S., 'Maritime awareness for counter-piracy in the Gulf of Aden', IEEE 2011
International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS 2011), Vancouver, Canada, pp. 249-252, 2011.